As I first mentioned in my 2010 New Year’s resolutions post, I’ve begun undertaking a number of themed photo projects. One of these has the dual purpose of giving me a little more understanding of the world on the other side of the lens, and in helping me conquer a little personal fear.
I love taking photos, but if there is one thing that I am deathly scared of, it’s getting on the other side of the lens. Although my photo has been taken numerous times, I always resort to pulling some sort of goofy, over-the-top pose in an attempt to deflect the fear of being shot. If I’m just fooling around, it doesn’t matter that I look like a idiot… right? RIGHT!?
*Sigh* This has to stop. I can’t reasonably expect others to feel comfortable posing for me if I don’t at least have some level of appreciation for what they’re going through. All that ends now. It’s my turn to suffer the insecurity and terror of having my photo taken properly.
That was a nice little speech and all, but without the proper motivation I know I’ll never do it. So, to ensure that I do actually go through with this particular photo project, I will now make a pact designed to force me into realising this goal through the magical power of peer pressure. Naturally, I need the help of you, my peers, to apply the pressure.
Telling me to “man up” isn’t going to cut it for this task. I need to create some sense of obligation, and when thinking about it, I could only conjure one thought: Money. Convincing people to part with their hard earned cash puts a level of pressure on me that I can’t in good faith refuse. At the same time, when asking people to spend money, I have to make some sort of sacrifice myself. A simple self-portrait doesn’t provide enough amusement to motivate people to spend.
So… here goes nothing…
People of the Internet: If there are 52 of you out there who are willing to donate just $10AUD each to the RSPCA, I promise to get in front of the camera for a self portrait… nude.
Yes, you read that correctly. I’ll buff it up for a self-portrait and post the results to my Flickr stream if just 52 of you can pony up a little cash for all the abandoned and abused animals out there. That’s one person a week over the course of the year.
1) When I say nude, I mean “tastefully” nude. No boy-bits, just my pasty, plain self.
2) The financial goal is to raise $520AUD for the RSPCA, so I will accept less than 52 individual donors if the total dollar amount reaches $520.
3) This offer is valid for the entire year. It will only expire at midnight, January 1st 2011 (Perth, Australia, GMT+8).
4) $500+ is a lot of money, so I’ll do my level best to make sure that the goal is reached. Yes, I won’t try and shy away purely because my hairy butt is on the line. I promise to contact various prominent photographers I know of through Twitter and the wider web in an attempt to get them to draw some attention to this act of tomfoolery, thus giving it the best possible chance of succeeding. If you’re going to toss in your money, the least I can do is try to make it worth while.
5) For your donation to be considered valid, some proof must be emailed to me (tpokorny ^^ gmail). Whether this is the tax invoice they send you, or a screenshot of the confirmation page, I just need some sort of proof that you have donated. The subject of all emails should be, or contain the text: “Raunchy for the RSPCA“. Please be sure to scrub any personal information you don’t want me to see. When I receive an email, I’ll just be noting the name and donated amount before immediately deleting it. Naturally, no details at all will be passed to anyone else for any purpose whatsoever.
6) I’ll only be taking the photo AFTER the $520 goal has been reached. Each time I receive confirmation of a donation I will reply via email to the donator, informing them of the current amount raised. Each time the total climbs by another $50, I’ll post a message to my Twitter stream.
If/when the goal has been reached, I’ll post the best shot I can manage to my Flickr account and a notification will be sent via Twitter, as well as an email directly to anyone insane and generous enough to donate.
A Final Word
This is scary as hell, but it will force me to step outside my comfort zone while having the far more important benefit of helping a kind and caring organisation. I’ve set the bar pretty high, so I’m really not sure I’ll get enough people to donate. If nothing else, remember that it’s tax deductible, which is more than I can say for my dignity.
There are many reasons to participate:
- Do it for the animals
- Do it because you want to be blinded by my casper-like levels of whiteness
- Do it because you think I’m all talk and want to see me squirm
Whatever the reason, I both encourage you to participate and urge you to think carefully about the horror you are potentially unleashing upon the world before you do.
Update: For anyone outside Australia who wishes to donate, you should also feel free. My personal suggestion is to donate to the Humane Society. The same concept applies. Just donate and then email me some sort of confirmation so I can add you to the tally!Tags: mental imbalance, photography, photoproject2010, rspca, you can't unsee it